maven-users mailing list archives

From "Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin" <donnch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Progress indicators for project management
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:12:05 GMT
I tried it quicly and came across a few issues (most of which are
easily dealt with).

I took the example configuration on the maven2 QALab plugin page
( http://qalab.sourceforge.net/maven2/faq.html )
 and simplified it to just working with PMD. I came across the following issues:
 * By default PMD doesn't seem to produce an XML report
 * When the PMD plugin is instructed to produce an XML report it puts
it in target and the QALab example QALab expects it to be in
target/pmd.
 * By Default, the PMD plugin seems to run in the report phase and the
example runs  in the verify phase

I got it working in the end with the following configuration

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-pmd-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>pmd</id>
            <phase>verify</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>pmd</goal>
            </goals>
          </execution>
        </executions>
        <configuration>
          <linkXref>true</linkXref>
          <targetJdk>1.5</targetJdk>
          <format>xml</format>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
      <plugin>
        <groupId>net.objectlab</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-qalab-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>2.1</version>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>pmd-merge</id>
            <phase>verify</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>merge</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <handler>net.objectlab.qalab.parser.PMDStatMerge</handler>
              <inputFile>
                ${project.build.directory}/pmd.xml
              </inputFile>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
          <execution>
            <id>qalab-movers</id>
            <phase>verify</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>movers</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <startTimeHoursOffset>480</startTimeHoursOffset>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
            <execution>
            <id>qalab-chart</id>
            <phase>verify</phase>
            <goals>
            <goal>chart</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
            <summaryOnly>false</summaryOnly>
            </configuration>
            </execution>
        </executions>
        <configuration>
          <types>pmd</types>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
  <reporting>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <groupId>net.objectlab</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-qalab-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>2.1</version>
        <reportSets>
          <reportSet>
            <reports>
              <report>report</report>
              <report>movers-report</report>
            </reports>
          </reportSet>
        </reportSets>
      </plugin>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-pmd-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <linkXref>true</linkXref>
          <targetJdk>1.5</targetJdk>
          <format>xml</format>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </reporting>

It seems a little verbose. I wonder if a more concise configuration is possible?
Also, I would like to set it up in my root pom and inherit the
confiuration in the modules, but that doesn't seem very
straightforward.

Is it possible to configure it in the root pom and bind it to a
lifecycle phase in the child pom (this is a general maven 2 question)?

A bigger issue is that the history is stored within an xml file in the
project. I imagine that qalab would be run within a continuous
integration context in general and the history would be lost.
Is it possible to override the location of this and store it somewhere
outside the project so that when the continuous integration system
(luntbuild in our case) does a clean build, this history is not lost?

  Donnchadh