maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [m2] Updates of transitive dependencies not working?
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:45:28 GMT
ArneD wrote on Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:27 PM:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>>
>> ArneD wrote on Thursday, August 24, 2006 2:43 PM:
>>
>>> I defined two repositories in the settings.xml, both with
>>> updatePolicy set to always.
>>>
>>> My project A has a dependency to version 5.0-SNAPSHOT of a JAR B.
>>> That JAR B has a dependency to version 1.6 of another JAR C. In my
>>> local repository there's an outdated version 1.6 of JAR C (i.e.
>>> version 1.6 has been redeployed after a bug has been found).
>>>
>>> The problem is: During my build of project A Maven is looking for
>>> an update of JAR B, but NOT of JAR C.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug or am I missing some setting?
>>
>> Yes. You cannot upgrade a final version! Therefore it is final.
>> Maven will *never* look for an update. That's what snapshots are for
>>

> I know that you normally should use snapshot versions for
> that. Anyway,
> Maven *does* allow to overwrite an existing version in the repository
> by re-deploying it.

Your own risk.

> To make builds repeatable, I believe, Maven has
> to look for updates, even for released versions, not only snapshot
> versions.

It does not.

> Isn't that what the
> <repository><release><updatePolicy>always</...> setting
> is for?

"updatePolicy" defines how often *SNAPSHOTS* are looked for. Although it is also defined for
the releases section, it is IMHO just ignored there (or maybe it is the same as with the bug
for the snapshots). Raise an issue ...

>> (although it does also not work because of a bug).
>>

> Do you know the bug number?

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1908

- Jörg