maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: Conflicting Dependency Version Dilemna
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:46:10 GMT
Hi Mike,

Mike Perham wrote on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:21 PM:

> We have come up with a pattern that we feel works pretty well to work
> around this.  We split our modules into standard jars and "j2ee" type
> archives.  The standard jars declare their own deps as
> normal.  The j2ee
> jars all share a parent which overrides all dependency
> versions so all the
> wars/ears are guaranteed to have the same manifest.mf and ear
> lib/*.jar contents.
>
> When we release, standard jars are released one at a time.
> The j2ee jars
> are all released at the same time (using one big recursive
> release).  This
> way we update the parent with the latest versions of all the
> standard jars
> and then all the j2ee jars will pick it up.

Unfortunately this pattern does only help if you build a single EAR. For multiple EARs (we
have so) and a lot of EJBs (not exclusivly referenced), you cannot define the dependencies
in a common parent, since then you woud end up with all depednencies of all EJBs in every
EAR. So you use a dependencyManagement (we do) and you're left with the already described
problem - you cannot force transitive dependencies toi the version defined in the management.

[snip]

- Jörg