maven-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Redmond" <eric.redm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven-scm-plugin goals question
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 04:01:37 GMT
As a user, I always want to _do_ something. Logging in is, inherently, a
null operation. Sure, it changes my state (from non-logged in to logged in)
but only insomuch as to do the action that I _really_ want to do (such as,
commit or checkout). The issue with ANT is that it is procedural. It makes
you take steps (login, checkout, logout). Maven is not procedural, it is
declarative. From that point of view, what good does it do anyone to declare
"log me in"? It is the steps _after_ this operation that are fruitful, so
this is what the goals focus on. To log oneself in turns a declared
operation into a procedure.

Consider the example goal:
  mvn scm:commit

versus the alternate proposal:
  mvn scm:login scm:commit

See how that becomes procedural? I'm no longer just declaring the action I
want to take (commit), but now instead am directing how to take the action.

Thanks;
Eric