maven-users mailing list archives

From "Wayne Fay" <wayne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Internal (intranet) repositories
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 04:30:35 GMT
Unfortunately, ibiblio is "super busy" most hours of the day as it is
a shared resource. This is the price we pay for using it. You can use
a Central mirror instead by configuring your settings.xml.

The occasional 503 on ibiblio is really no big deal imo. Especially
considering that you can run offline with -o once your dependencies
are all downloaded into your repo.

For 90% of maven builds, you really don't need to go out to the net to
check for updates of dependencies etc. In fact, I might even suggest
you use [x.y.z] to lock in versions for dependencies just to prevent
Maven from having to go out to ibiblio etc to find updates, and also
to prevent changes in new versions of dependencies from breaking your
build. Especially when you are dealing with code that's in production
-- the last thing you'd want is for Maven to autodownload the latest
JDO files which might not be 100% compatible with the version you were
running before.

Enabling this can be as simple as tweaking your dependencies as follows:
<dependency>
<version>[1.2.2]</version>
</dependency>

This "locks" the dependency version to 1.2.2 so Maven does not check
ibiblio for updates. When you just use <version>1.2.2</version>, Maven
will go out and check ibiblio for updates and pull them down
automatically for you. Go here to read more about configuring
versions:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution

Wayne