maven-users mailing list archives

From law5385 <law5...@yahoo.com.au>
Subject release:prepare error
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 02:24:00 GMT

Hello,

I am new to Maven 2 and can't find any decent documentation to help me use
the maven-release-plugin. I am trying to write a simple pom.xml to automate
the build process of a jar file, by downloading the source code from
subversion.

I have the following settings in my POM:

  <scm>
  	<connection>scm:svn://myserver/svn/testWSClient/trunk/</connection>

<developerConnection>scm:svn:http://mvnbuild@myserver/svn/testWSClient/trunk/</developerConnection>
  	<url>http://myserver/svn/testWSClient/trunk/</url>
  </scm>

		<plugin>
		  <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
		  <configuration>
		  	<tagBase>http://mvnbuild@myserver/svn/testWSClient/tags/</tagBase>
		  	<tag>1.0.0</tag>
		  </configuration>
		  <executions>
		  	<execution>
		  	  <id>CreateTag</id>
		  	  <phase>generate-sources</phase>
			  <goals>
				<goal>prepare</goal>
			  </goals>
			</execution>
		  	<execution>
		  	  <id>PerformBuild</id>
		  	  <phase>compile</phase>
			  <goals>
				<goal>perform</goal>
			  </goals>
			</execution>
		  </executions>
		</plugin>

My MVN folder structure is:

testWSClient

   --- branches
   --- tags
   --- trunk

        --- pom.xml
        --- src

             --- main

I get the following error:

[INFO] [release:prepare]
[INFO] Verifying there are no local modifications ...
Provider message:
The svn command failed.
Command output:
svn: '.' is not a working copy

My understanding is that release:prepare should create a tag in my SVN
repository and update the revision number. release:perform should then
checkout the tag from SVN and perform the build.

What I don't understand - why is Maven looking for a working copy when it's
trying to create a tag? Can't it create the tag using the svn copy command
(which doesn't need a working copy)?

I also tried checking out all of my code to testWSClient/trunk/src/main and
then running release:prepare but that didn't solve the problem.

Cheers