maven-users mailing list archives

From Jadoulle Jérôme <>
Subject [MAVEN 2] Update /
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 08:27:47 GMT

I am trying to set-up an in-house remote repository for my company.

We did this already in the past using maven 1.02 (though I wasn't the guy in charge) and we
now want to move to V2.0.

Problem is that documentation about how to do this in a generic fashion (I don't want the
connection information to be written in each POM.xml file) is still referring to Maven 1.0
"" file... Which doesn't help me.

So, I would be grateful to you to have this introduction to repositories to be updated to
match the V2 and it's Settings.xml file.

In fact, I think it would help a lot of people to have:

-          XSD schema sort of reference pages about each XML file users are likely to change
(settings.xml, pom.xml,...).

-          More precise documentation for "basic examples".  I personally think that, in the
current state, you rely too much on user's knowledge, which is, when he starts to use maven
for the first, quite limitated.

I am certainly not saying that you are making a bad job, not at all.  I am just telling that
I would have a far better Maven experience if more precise documentation was made available
to users.  Reference pages are very important, I think.

A last note: I bet that part of your answer will tell that you prefer focus on correcting
bugs and bring more functionality to the community and that you are already doing all what
you can concerning the documentation. And you'll be right!  But did you think about putting
documentation in a wiki or something, where all willing-to-help users would be able to make
the knowledge base grow and correct documentation errors, imperfections,... ?  Perhaps this
would be a very interesting thing to do.  What do you think of it?

Anyway, thank you very much for at least having read this mail,

the system manager.
Rijksdienst voor Pensioenen
Office National des Pensions