maven-users mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [m2] Moving <versions> from project.xml to pom.xml
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:55:13 GMT
On 11/24/05, David Jackman <David.Jackman@fastsearch.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason this information was dropped from the project
> descriptor?  I'd like to have the version history information (including
> version numbers, SCM tag names, and possibly dates and descriptions)
> stay with the project description in source control.  All I'd want in
> the repository is the version numbers, and I don't like the idea of
> having information in the repository that can't be reconstructed easily.

The POM is meant to be current state, not history. We actually only
record the versions in the repository, and if the SCM tag is populated
in the <scm> section of the POM for each released version you can
reconstruct the information.

There were other issues with putting history in the POM: forgetting to
add it, getting the right level of information when you work on
multiple branches, and similar things.

Cheers,
Brett