maven-users mailing list archives

From "Luca Gmail" <luca.rasc...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: deploying error
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 16:21:40 GMT
Yes Bob, but in the first mail i asked that i had an error deploying (to
remote as you said and as I expected) my artifact. You answered me to use
the install pugin. Why?
First install locally and the deploy remotely? In such a way?

I created my artifact (a jar file). I would like to share and reuse inside
other project. How can do it? If I read doc I have ti use deploy plugin.

Hope being clear :-)

Tnx,
Luca

-----Original Message-----
From: Allison, Bob [mailto:robert.allison@qwest.com]
Sent: mercoledì 2 novembre 2005 17.11
To: Maven Users List
Subject: RE: deploying error

There are two different repositories you deal with in Maven:

-- The "local" repository is the one that is located in
${user.home}/.m2/repository by default.  This is a place where artifacts
needed for the build are stored, and cannot be shared between users.  When
you do an "install", the artifact is placed in this repository.

-- The "remote" repository is one located somewhere else, usually on a
central server (whether central to your company or home or the world is not
important to this discussion).  This is a place where artifacts to be shared
are stored; artifacts are downloaded from this repository to your local
repository when you need them for a build.  When you do a "deploy", the
artifact is placed in this repository.

Also note that it is quite reasonable to have a number of remote
repositories.

Does this help clear up the confusion?