maven-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Pöllath <li...@poellath.org>
Subject [m2] Using the tomcat plugin
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:56:41 GMT
Hi,

I've successfully compiled and installed the tomcat plugin from svn,
and tomcat:deploy works as expected. Now I'm wondering how to best
use it.

For development, I'd like to avoid zipping up the war file for each
deployment. From gleaning at the source, I learned this means
deploying in local mode. I guess I have to pass a parameter to the
tomcat plugin, but I can't figure out the parameter's correct name (I
know, this question is related to plugins in general, but I can't
find the documentation).

I tried
$ mvn -Dorg.apache.maven.plugins.maven-tomcat-plugin.mode=local
tomcat:deploy
and
$ mvn -Dorg.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.mode=local tomcat:deploy
but all I get is
[INFO] Deploying war remotely to /myProject on http://localhost:8080/
manager
which means I'm running in the default remote mode.

I also noticed there's a mode called inplace, that uses a context.xml
file to deploy to tomcat, and requires the war plugin to run in
exploded mode. What's the advantage of using inplace (I assume you
get to use a path different from project.build.finalName?), and how
do I configure the war plugin?

How does everyone else use the tomcat plugin?

Thanks,
-Ralph.