maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Using Archetypes to Add to an Existing Project (Maven 2)
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:19:15 GMT
On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 19:58 +0000, Alex McManus wrote:
> Thanks once again for your quick response. I'm not entirely sure where
> to look on Ibiblio, but in both of the following places, there is
> nothing more recent than 1.0-alpha-3:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/maven-archetype/
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/
>
> Has there been a hiccup in publishing alpha-4?

The site archetype:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/archetypes/maven-
archetype-site/

I'm going to look over the archetype stuff, clean it up a bit and try to
resolve some issues and then release archetype itself along with all the
archetypes.

> Thanks,
>
> Alex.
>

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 16:23 +0000, Alex McManus wrote:
> >

> >>Hi Jason,
> >>
> >>thanks very much for the helpful response. However, I have already been
> >>looking at the quickstart guide. If I run the following sequence of
> >>commands, copied directly from this guide:
> >>
> >>mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-app
> >>mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-app
> >>-DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes
> >>-DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-site
> >>
> >>...then I still get the "please run from a clean directory" error.
> >>Because this happens before it attempts to download the
> >>"maven-archetype-site" artefact, it suggests to me that the artefact
> >>plugin isn't checking any settings in the archetype before throwing this
> >>error. When I check my repository, I am using archetype plugin
> >>"maven-archetype-1.0-alpha-3".
> >>

> >It is alpha-4 of the site archetype which allows generation within an
> >existing project.
> >

> >>Should I expect this to work with the 1.0-alpha-3 archetype plugin, or
> >>is this such a new feature that it hasn't made it into a release yet?
> >>

> >You'll get the latest archetype plugin automatically, and the latest
> >site archetype should be coming down as well. Is alpha-4 not coming
> >down? If not try specifying the version and that should work.
> >

> >>Another thing that I'm curious about - when it is doing a partial create
> >>of an archetype that contains a new POM (as the site archetype does), is
> >>it clever about merging the new POM with the old. For example, will it
> >>merge the dependencies in the archetype POM with those already in the
> >>target project?
> >>

> >There's no logic like that yet, but certainly something we could do.
> >Right now when there is an existing project the POM is left as is.
> >

> >>Thanks again,
> >>
> >>Alex.

If

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare