maven-users mailing list archives

From Andy Glick <andygl...@acm.org>
Subject Re: problems with Maven 1.1 -beta-1 in defining entities in project.xml
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:09:46 GMT
Marco,

When I executed "maven pom:validate" on your project.xml file I found 2
lines that the Modello generated parser rejected.

1) Maven 1.1 no longer supports XML entities as a means of including XML
fragments, though still supports character entities

<!-- &xdoclet-commons;-->

so commenting out this line allowed the parser to get to the next problem

if you would like to reference dependencies declared in another file, the
current Maven 1 convention is to use <extend>[pom path
spec]/project.xml</extend> and reference a project.xml file which has the
required dependencies declared within it. I've tended to do this by
creating my own project.xml files which i put in maven.local.repo - but you
can actually put the file where you want to and name the file whatever you want

because the parser recognizes ${maven.local.repo} I tend to put POMS that
I've written to aggregate dependencies in my local repository - an example
from one of my POM files would be

<extend>${maven.repo.local}/alg/poms/jakarta-commons-dependencies.pom</extend>

2) Maven 1.1 will attempt to locate a file which matches the version String
that you give it - so the following line causes a problem as Maven attempts
to locate and download a file named "castor-0.9.5.3 <http://0.9.5.3>.jar"
if you remove the embedded URL and the GT and LT

<!-- <version>0.9.5.3 <http://0.9.5.3></version> -->

<version>0.9.5.3</version>

Maven will attempt to locate and download castor-0.9.5.3.jar, which it
successfully did in my environment

I'm sorry to say that I'm not at all sure what you are trying to accomplish
with this syntax. When I attempted to process the POM file before changiong
the line, Maven did attempt to download a file with the odd name that
appears above.

Hope that this helps.

Best regards,