maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [m2] how to deal with missing dependencies
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 05:15:26 GMT
On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 18:19 +0200, Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It often happens that during my project build, i get missing
> dependencies and the build fails with an error like :
>
> Path to dependency:
>         1) apache-cocoon:cocoon-core:jar:2.2-SNAPSHOT
>         2) excalibur-store:excalibur-store:jar:2.1
>         3) excalibur-fortress:excalibur-fortress-container-api:jar:1.2
>         4) d-haven-managed-pool:d-haven-managed-pool:jar:1.0
>
> These missing dependencies seem quite random, one day they are there,
> the next they are gone.

Dependencies should not just come and go. Can you take a look at ibiblio
and see if you are using the correct groupId and artifactId in all
cases? For example looking in the repo there is no groupId of apache-
cocoon but there is a cocoon groupId:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/cocoon/

And in there I don't see any cocoon-core artifacts in there.

> Are these poms still being actively updated
> perhaps ?

You can see when they were last acted upon by looking in the repo:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/cocoon/cocoon/2.1.7/

> What can one do to make this fail a)less often and b) not so
> seemingly random ?

1) Examine the repo and make sure you're using correct groupIds and
artifactIds

2) Contact the project in question and see if someone is maintain the
metadata and if not

3) Register any problems here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV

> I know i could just put them in my local repository manually but that
> defeats the whole purpose of maven.

Yes it does :-) But sometimes you have to nudge a bit to get things into
the repository and correctly.

> Thanks
> Jorg Heymans

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)