maven-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Pöllath <li...@poellath.org>
Subject Re: SCM Tagging / Releasing
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:52:55 GMT
On 29.09.2005, at 18:37, Craig S. Cottingham wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2005, at 11:05, David Jackman wrote:
>> I was of the presumption that (at least with CVS) when you do a
>> tag it tags the version of each file that are present on your
>> machine, regardless of what the latest version is on the SCM
>> server.  I don't know for sure if the SCM plugin command is doing
>> it this way (since it is possible to have it tag the latest
>> version without regard for what's present locally), but I can't
>> imagine why it wouldn't.

svn help copy
copy (cp): Duplicate something in working copy or repository,
remembering history.
usage: copy SRC DST

   SRC and DST can each be either a working copy (WC) path or URL:
     WC  -> WC:   copy and schedule for addition (with history)
     WC  -> URL:  immediately commit a copy of WC to URL
     URL -> WC:   check out URL into WC, schedule for addition
     URL -> URL:  complete server-side copy;  used to branch & tag

With SVN, you use copy to tag stuff (just make a copy to the tags
directory). If you chose the WC  -> URL variant, you tag the contents
of you working copy, which I assume is what you want. With URL ->
URL, you'd have to make sure noone commits right before you tag,
cause then you'd tag his version.

Inconsistencies should not be possible at all using SVN.

Cheers,
-Ralph.