maven-users mailing list archives

From "Manny Nainu" <man...@amikasys.com>
Subject RE: Maven Recommended Directory Structure
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:08:08 GMT
Paul,
This is an excellent question and one I'm struggling with too. I'm trying to
follow a similar convention to SUN's but I know the Maven-ites have another
format that I can see has value but not sure where this leaves us with best
practices. I wanted to follow /dist /conf etc. I think you can change the
project descriptor to get the effect you want but it would be nice to know
why MAVEN went with something different from well-defined blueprints etc.

Thanks,
Manny

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Faulstich [mailto:pfaulstich@llbean.com]
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 10:52 AM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: Maven Recommended Directory Structure

I've been browsing through the archives looking for some documentation
regarding the thought process that went into the Maven directory
structure conventions, but haven't found much yet.

We are restructuring one of our projects, and it would be helpful to be
able to explain to others (and to understand myself) why Maven's
recommendation differs from Sun's
(http://java.sun.com/blueprints/code/projectconventions.html#92194).

In particular:
 - directory names (target vs dist, resources vs conf)
 - the purpose of the /main folder under src (src/main/java vs src/java)
 - placing tests under src (src/test vs test/testname/src)

If this is a dead horse, then please just point me to the discussions
that already exist.

Thanks,

Paul

--