maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Maven 2 - Customizing a build
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:05:14 GMT
On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 18:35 +0200, Alonso Dominguez wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I've been taking a look inside of the jars of the actual plugins for
> Maven 2 and I've noticed that every plugin has inside its
> META-INF/maven directory 2 files: the project descriptor (pom.xml) and
> a plugin descriptor (plugin.xml). I did not find any documentation
> about that plugin descriptor and the document "Developing Plugins with
> Marmalade" doesn't talk about that file.

That file is generated by the tools used to create m2 plugins. If you
follow the guide you don't need to worry about that file. For any type
of plugin we support the developer only needs to worry about following
the guidelines of actually developing the plugin. In the marmalade guide
you will see a section that details the metadata for the plugin: that is
the what we use to generate the plugin.xml. For Java-based plugins we
use @tag information to generate the plugin.xml. We don't ever want
developers to have to make the plugin.xml files by hand so that we can
shield users from the bare metal. If we ever need to change the format
of the plugin.xml the developer of a plugin won't ever need to concern
themselves with that as we will take care of modifying the tools that
generate the plugin.xml files.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition