maven-users mailing list archives

From Michal Maczka <mmac...@interia.pl>
Subject Re: java:compile altering classpath
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:16:28 GMT
Alexander Rupsch wrote:

>I my build process I collect some projects using reactor. The projects
>sometimes depend on each other. Now I'm looking for a way to compile
>them without having there artifacts installed to the repo. What I need is:
>
>1.) Calculation the path to created jar or classes in the target of the
>depended project (since the reactor calculates the right build order it
>should be there). I think that is not that hard to do.
>
>2.) Add the path to the compile classpath of the project which depends
>on it. How can I do this? I use <maven:maven> and the java:compile goal
>for every reactor project, is there a way to alter the classpath if needed?

Can I ask Why would you like to do this?

Note that
a) such scenario is possible in maven but not supported out of the box
and requires  quite a  lot of work
b) recommended way of doing it (projects exchange information via the
repository)  is
  i) faster (for some dissusion related to this subject you can for
example take a look at Vincent's blog

(http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/vmassol/archives/000953_binary_dependency_builds.html)
  ii) more scalable as it replaces messy peer to peer model with
something more elegant: projects just communitate
   with repository - never with other projects directly.

My experience tells ms that that reactor based builds should be used for
tasks like generation of aggregated websites - but if it is possible
they should be avoided as the normal pratice for building large projects
with many artifacts. The concept of exchaning artifacts via the
repository  is something which works pariculary well with continous
integration systems.

Michal