maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: version numbers on build artifacts
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:38:45 GMT
On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 04:17, Harr, Robert E. (LNG-DAY) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using maven for a while and have been very happy so far.  The
> only problem I am having is that I need to find a way to no use the
> versioning strategy on artifacts.  I would like to have sample.war,
> sample.ear rather than sample-1.war, sample-1.ear.  When I take out the
> <currentVersion> tag I still get sample-.war and sample-.ear.  Is there a
> way to completely eliminate this?

You can do it with JAR overrides and maven.final.name, as noted by Dan,
but this is extremely bad practice as far as Maven goes. Why? It is a
critical piece of information and there is no reason to remove it from
an artifact name. In fact it makes it dead simple for a human to look at
an artifact and know what she's looking at. Too many problems can occur
by not easily being able to identify what version of an artifact you
have. The information is available, why throw it away?

Even in your case above where it seems like what you're working on is
examples it is still useful for your users to be able to distinguish
what versions of the samples they are seeing. It will also prevent them
from accidentally copying over the desired version of your examples with
an older copy which will only lead to unessesary questions and wasted
time. I've seen all of these things happen and would urge you to take
advantage of the versions in your artifact names and incorporate the
practice into your process. I promise you in the long run it will save
you time and a lot of unwanted headaches.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org