maven-users mailing list archives

From Ben Walding <...@walding.com>
Subject Re: How to do production builds with Maven?
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:19:08 GMT
Not quite,

1. Developers build as always using ibiblio. Most likely they have local repositories on their
machines.  You may use
maven-proxy to make your builds faster (snapshot checking is faster under a maven-proxy with
snapshot caching tuned). Downloads for new users are faster too as they retrieve all artifacts
internally over the intranet.

2. Create a "certified" repository on your intranet.  Only certified artifacts are placed
in there.  Expose this repository via http (maven-proxy can be used for this, but any http
server will do).  Developers may add this as a remote repository, but it probably won't have
much value

3. "production build user" has it's own local repository, completely separate from the developers.
 Set maven.repo.remote to the "certified repository"

That's all you need.

Where I saw maven-proxy being handy is in the creation of a certified
repository.  It allows you to map together several local repositories /
remote repositories into a single virtual repository.  In your case, you
wouldn't have any remote repositories configured.  In our maven-proxy,
we have
1) Global repo (the default storage location in maven-proxy)
2) work-repo (all our finalised work artifacts)
3) damagecontrol-repo (where damagecontrol spits it's snapshot builds)
4) sun-repo (where all the evilly licenced sun jars go)
5) www.ibiblio.org/maven
6) dist.codehaus.org

This lets us separate sun jars from the standard jars, lets us release
snapshot instantly via the proxy without pushing them anywhere etc.

The use case I thought might exist is the promotion of artifacts to
"certified" status, and whether adding some workflow into maven-proxy to
allow this via the interface was useful and desired.  Copying the jars
in manually is pretty easy mind you.

Cheers,

Ben