maven-users mailing list archives

From Nicolas.CHALUM...@arsoe-trelaze.com
Subject Re: struts module maven plugin
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:08:59 GMT
I just start a similar work. I use multiproject to create a webapp
structure where the web application could be the maven main project or
only a sub project and the modules are sub project. This part of my plugin
should work.

I plan to add the possibility to use war artifact as struts module, unzip
them .. as you see. I have an other plugin that do the same thing so it
will not be really are to adapte it.

The plugin isn't online actually because some fonctionnality are not
finish ! But I start a sourceforge project for it
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wmplugins/. I can commit the actual state
if you when to take a look.

Nicolas,

Nathan Coast <nathan@codeczar.com>
01/09/2004 05:25
Veuillez répondre à "Maven Users List"

        Pour :  struts-user <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>, Maven Users
<users@maven.apache.org>
        cc :
        Objet : struts module maven plugin

Hi,

I'm thinking of developing a maven plugin for struts modules.  I want to
check that this
isn't being done by anyone else and to get feedback from the struts /
maven communities.

The idea came from working on LogWeb http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/  When
producing distros I have to produce a number of builds, including
instructions on how to
install each of them within your application.

1) standalone web app
2) module for bundling within struts web application
3) module for bundling within non-struts web application

It then occured to me that this process would be made easier if I split
the project into two:
1) a web application
2) a struts module
It then followed that a struts module maven plugin would be useful to
automate the process
of packaging modules and installing them into web applications.

Some possible advantages of this approach to assembling web-applications:
1) automate process of bundling 3rd party web application modules within
your web-app -
e.g logweb, pow2acl etc. etc.
2) reduced build size / deploy time.  If you have a large multi-module
web-app, during
development you could split your project into modules compiling &
deploying only the
modules you're currently working on.

what this plugin could do
1) assemble modules and install them in the repo
2) obtain dependent modules and unzip them into a web-app at assembly time
3) modify web.xml to add module <init-param>

cheers
Nathan