maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: Is there a way to separate maven's repository from my repository?
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:43:28 GMT
Courtney, Craig wrote on Thursday, August 26, 2004 3:33 PM:

> Yes I know.  The whole point to our creating a repository is
> to control what libraries and versions there of get
> introduced into our applications.  If I am forced to make
> available in my repository everything under the sun why
> bother.  It would be easier to just let every development
> team download anything they want and include it in their
> build process. The entire reason I was looking at maven was
> to start controlling this issue not enabling it.

You can't really stop it. There is always a workaround. At least you have to create then your
own (company) repo and prevent direct internet access, that no-one is able to activate ibiblio
simply by adding it to the remote repositories. Additionally you must ensure (by check-in
policy ?) that no-one uses jar override. But, tell me, why would I not want to join the project

Honestly, the POM has detailed information what library in which version is used. That's enough.
If you want to ensure inter-project consistency you might start to use entities (as described
on the wiki) or since RC4 you can achieve something similar to a certain point by using (inherited)
properties for the versions.

- Jörg

[snip]