maven-users mailing list archives

From Brant Gurganus <brantgurganus2...@cherokeescouting.org>
Subject Re: dependencies/JAR
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:27:19 GMT
Stefan Kleineikenscheidt wrote:

>i think i don't fully understand.  If you want to bundle your
>application JAR with its dependencies you can use the uberjar plugin
>(part of the standard maven distro) or the javaapp plugin
>(http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-javaapp-plugin/index.html).
>I've found the javaapp plugin working better (although uberjar is
>certainly more sexy ;).
>
>Using the classpath-entry of the manifest-file for this is usually more
>tricky, as the entry is dependent on the location of the dependencies.
>So far I've only used it for EJB-JARs in EARs.
>
>Another way of doing this is shipping the dependencies in a lib/ dir and
>providing a start-script.
>
>-Stefan

The problem with uberjar and javaapp is that they pack the dependencies
into a single JAR.  That prevents a user from updating a dependency
provided the dependency is compatible.  I would prefer the ability for
the JAR plugin to include relative entries for the dependencies and to
copy the dependencies to a lib/ or author-specified subdirectory of the
build directory.