maven-users mailing list archives

From Peter Bright <Peter.Bri...@orbian.com>
Subject RE: What the hell is "catch-22" [was Re: howto: request committer status]
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:48:49 GMT
It's a literary reference to Joseph Heller's frankly fantastic book,
"Catch-22", first published in 1961.

It tells the story of an air force pilot, Yossarian, who would rather not be
a pilot because he doesn't want to die.  The ways of avoiding flying are
limited; one way to avoid service is to be crazy.

Anyone willing to fly more missions would be crazy, so all a pilot would
have to do to avoid flying more missions would have to tell the doctor that
they're crazy.  But doing that demonstrates that they have concern for their
own safety, and if you have concern for your own safety, you can't be crazy.
If you flew then you were crazy and didn't have to; but if you didn't want
to you were sane and had to.  That's Catch-22.  It's the best catch there
is.