maven-users mailing list archives

From "Göschl,Siegfried" <Siegfried.Goes...@drei.com>
Subject RE: What the hell is "catch-22" [was Re: howto: request committer status]
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:01:39 GMT
Lovely, it's one of my favorite books ... :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Bright [mailto:Peter.Bright@orbian.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 01. Juli 2004 14:49
To: 'Maven Users List'
Subject: RE: What the hell is "catch-22" [was Re: howto: request committer status]

It's a literary reference to Joseph Heller's frankly fantastic book, "Catch-22", first published
in 1961.

It tells the story of an air force pilot, Yossarian, who would rather not be a pilot because
he doesn't want to die.  The ways of avoiding flying are limited; one way to avoid service
is to be crazy.

Anyone willing to fly more missions would be crazy, so all a pilot would have to do to avoid
flying more missions would have to tell the doctor that they're crazy.  But doing that demonstrates
that they have concern for their own safety, and if you have concern for your own safety,
you can't be crazy. If you flew then you were crazy and didn't have to; but if you didn't
want to you were sane and had to.  That's Catch-22.  It's the best catch there is.