maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: XML entities and forward compatibility
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:02:11 GMT
Maczka Michal wrote on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 11:15 AM:

> [...]

well, for M1, if you do a war-install in a subproject of a multiproject layout, the deployed
POM will have an <extends> tag ... but the referenced POM is nowhere ...

> but in m2 parent POM
> will be referenced differently
> (not by the way of giving path to it) and reactor will be built-in
> into core. Also raw model is well separated from inherited and
> interpolated values.

OK.

[snip]

> There are few things which will be vanished by transitive
> dependencies: Now all project which were using xstream or whcih were
> using libraries which we using xstream have to declare a dependency
> on xstream. With transitive dependencies in place the number of POMs
> which have to do this will be greatly limited.
> This will already make maintenance a lot easier.
>
> Secondly we hope to have some tools which will help you manage your
> POMs. Say you will be able to group projects and with GUI tool update
> the version of the given dependency in all those projects.
> Or imagine ci system doing that for you when new, fully backward
> compatible version of xstream is released.
>
> And there are some other cool things coming
> E.g. you will be able to use your own types of dependencies and
> artifact handlers for creating artifacts from them.
> If someone will wish he might be even able to write artifact handler
> which will read other
> POMs or even use web services. I doubt if such complex things will be
> ever needed  but that is something which will possible.

Sounds interesting. M2 is definitely on my target, all your speed-ups is looking promising.
But I fear I will have major changes to my current infrastructure ...

-- Jörg