maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: XML entities and forward compatibility
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:29:19 GMT
Hi Jason,

Jason van Zyl wrote on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 3:22 AM:

> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 19:23, Tim Reilly wrote:
>> Does anyone know, or can anyone comment on whether external xml
>> entities in the POM (particularly for dependencies) will continue to
>> work or be supported in future versions (maven-2, etc)?
>
> You won't need them and the plexus and geronimo builds will
> be proof of that. Today was infact the first day a build
> using arbitrary recursive inheritance and transitive
> dependencies occurred. Michal finished checking in his wagon
> integration into m2, I tweaked it a bit and presto! A new level of
> manageability.
>
> I really, really, really don't want to promote the use of
> entities. I've kept my mouth shut because they were really
> the only way to work around some congenital problems in m1.
> m2 is a ways off and there will be some surveys for users and
> one of questions will be regarding the use of entities. No
> one will probably want to use them anyway with m2.

My basic concern was about the consistent versions in the dependencies. Say, have a multiproject
with ~50 subprojects and ~10 of them use e.g. xstream. Using entities I change currently only
one single line in one file to upgrade all of this 10 subprojects for a new xstream version
and does not have to care about, if possibly someone added a xstream dependency to another
subproject I currently do not know.

Without entities I have in M1 to make all subprojects dependend of XStream to achieve the
same ... what about M2?

Regards,
Jörg