maven-users mailing list archives

From "Göschl,Siegfried" <Siegfried.Goes...@drei.com>
Subject RE: XML entities and forward compatibility
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:46:00 GMT
Hi Jason,

it's really good to have a better mechanism in place but breaking existing Maven project using
XML entities is another thing - you can always issue a deprecation warning during the build
or POM validation.

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:jvanzyl@maven.org]
Sent: Mittwoch, 09. Juni 2004 03:51
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: XML entities and forward compatibility

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 21:24, Dion Gillard wrote:
> Given that they're a standard part of XML, and that the m2 project
> descriptor in one form will be an XML document, why would they not be
> available?

If decided that the native mechanisms would work best, which I definitely think would be the
case as there would be one standard way that work whereas the use of XML entities could be
used in any fashion, then I would disable their use them in the xpp3 parser.

I honestly cannot see any cases where entities would be beneficial with what's running now
in m2. Also, with some of the more advanced features in m2 for conflict resolution amongst
dependencies, better jar overriding, and better general handling of artifacts exact control
over processing becomes necessary. I would really like to avoid having to locate the source
of a problem by finding the source of an entity.

In addition things like accurate authoring will have difficulty dealing with entities. If
you, say, have a GUI that is allowing you to fix a conflict, or align dependencies then we
can provide the exact information to client code to find the source of the conflict.

I don't see any upside to entities at all in m2 and I think they would actually be harmful.
Nothing special happens with the processing of XML in m1 so it doesn't really matter. But
sophisticated tools will need exacting control whether than be our own like the conflict resolution
mechanism or GUI tools.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you
turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau