maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [multiproject] Strange...
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:47:03 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 9:39 AM:

> On Tuesday 30 March 2004 14:49, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Hi Niclas,
>>
>>> avalon-excalibur/buildsystem/project-common.xml
>>
>>                                        ^^^^
>> should be project.properties ?
>
> Nope...
> I was assuming that all the Organization, Mailinglists, <build> and
> other common stuff could be stuffed into a shared pom file. No?
>
> Documentation says;
> <quote>
> Values from the parent project will be the default for this project
> if they are left unspecified.
> </quote>

Since this behaviour changed multiple from RC1 to RC2 it is hard to say. I would also believe
the docs. As long as something is compiled and e.g. the developers are listed i nthe project
members - good.

>> Personally I have added a pregoal for build:start to my maven.xml's
>> that will load global properties. But even here: It is too late for
>> the maven.repo.remote entry. This one cannot be shared, since
>> the goal runs too late.
>
> So, you are saying that the global "project.properties" in
> the top-level dir
> (where maven multiproject is invoked) will not be read?

Yes. This is definatly true.

>> - your "child" project.properties should contain an entry
>> maven.multiproject.type. Otherwise multiproject does not know, what
>> to call. Maybe this is your problem below ?
>
> Docs says that "jar" is default type (although the Optional=No).

ok then.

>> - maven.javadoc.stylesheet
> =file:${avalon.buildsystem}/stylesheet.css
>> will not work. All you define here is the link that is inserted in
>> your HTML code. There are open JIRA issues (with patch) to solve
>> this, but they're not applied
>
> I worry about this later.

:)

>> Try to validate your POMs with pom:validate.
>
> Is the POM xml 'order sensitive', or just the pom:validate?

Just the pom:validate, since the POM is not validated for execution (too expensive). But this
means maven will just use what if finds and you'll never know if something is ignored. Guess,
I had once a <dependemcy> tag and wondered why ... ;-)

But nothing of this should create your original problem. Did you run maven with -X option
?

> Point in hand; I want a default Maven project with heaps of
> subprojects without hordes of maven.xml coding, in fact I don't want
> any maven.xml at all. Is this possible or not?  If so, what is the
> expected project layout?

Well, you can omit the maven.xml, if you don't use global properties. But then you have to
repeat them in any of the subprojects also. Additionally you cannot have a global theme.css,
this must also live in each subproject. Solving this problems results again in a maven.xml
in each subproject ... I do not know what is really better ...

Regards,
Jörg