maven-users mailing list archives

From <eggler...@post.ch>
Subject RE: Struts dependent artefacts
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:27:43 GMT
You can inherit the dependecies from another project with the <extend>
tag.
Look at: http://maven.apache.org/reference/project-descriptor.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Geddes, Mark (ANTS) [mailto:mark.geddes@ants.co.uk]
Sent: Mittwoch, 3. Dezember 2003 10:13
To: 'users@maven.apache.org'
Subject: Struts dependent artefacts

Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked before - I searched the archives but
didn't
find the answer I was looking for. I am in the process of migrating
several
projects from an in-house build system to the excellent Maven. We tend
package everything as EAR archives, and we make extensive use of Struts.
The
in-house system leans heavily on the ideas from 'Java Development with
Ant'
(Hatcher, Loughran), specifically we store versions of Struts in version
specific directories. So a 'struts-1.1' directory will contain all the
jars
and tlds for that version. The Ant script will copy all the runtime
required
jars and tlds from the directory into the appropriate build area. The
version is controlled through a property, so migrating between versions
has
been seamless.
I am now using Maven's dependency mechanism, and have come up with
something
like this for Struts-1.1:

		<dependency>
			<groupId>struts</groupId>
			<artifactId>struts</artifactId>
			<version>1.1</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>struts</groupId>
			<artifactId>struts-logic</artifactId>
			<version>1.1</version>
			<type>tld</type>
			<properties>
				<war.bundle>true</war.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>struts</groupId>
			<artifactId>struts-bean</artifactId>
			<version>1.1</version>
			<type>tld</type>
			<properties>
				<war.bundle>true</war.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>struts</groupId>
			<artifactId>struts-html</artifactId>
			<version>1.1</version>
			<type>tld</type>
			<properties>
				<war.bundle>true</war.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>struts</groupId>
			<artifactId>struts-nested</artifactId>
			<version>1.1</version>
			<type>tld</type>
			<properties>
				<war.bundle>true</war.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>struts</groupId>
			<artifactId>struts-template</artifactId>
			<version>1.1</version>
			<type>tld</type>
			<properties>
				<war.bundle>true</war.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>struts</groupId>
			<artifactId>struts-tiles</artifactId>
			<version>1.1</version>
			<type>tld</type>
			<properties>
				<war.bundle>true</war.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>commons-beanutils</groupId>
			<artifactId>commons-beanutils</artifactId>
			<version>1.6</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>commons-digester</groupId>
			<artifactId>commons-digester</artifactId>
			<version>1.5</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>commons-collections</groupId>
			<artifactId>commons-collections</artifactId>
			<version>2.1</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>commons-fileupload</groupId>
			<artifactId>commons-fileupload</artifactId>
			<version>1.0</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
			<version>1.0.3</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>commons-lang</groupId>
			<artifactId>commons-lang</artifactId>
			<version>1.0.1</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>commons-validator</groupId>
			<artifactId>commons-validator</artifactId>
			<version>1.0.2</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>oro</groupId>
			<artifactId>oro</artifactId>
			<version>2.0.6</version>
			<properties>
				<ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
			</properties>
		</dependency>

This is fine. The problem is that I have to duplicate this for each
project.
Is there a simple way to re-use this _logic_ across multiple projects,
or am
I heading up the wrong path?
Any ideas gratefully received.

Mark

***
This communication (including any attachments) contains confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient and you have
received this communication in error, you should destroy it without
copying, disclosing or otherwise using its contents.  Please notify the
sender immediately of the error.

Internet communications are not necessarily secure and may be
intercepted or changed after they are sent.  Abbey National Treasury
Services plc does not accept liability for any loss you may suffer as a
result of interception or any liability for such changes.  If you wish
to confirm the origin or content of this communication, please contact
the sender by using an alternative means of communication.

This communication does not create or modify any contract and, unless
otherwise stated, is not intended to be contractually binding.

Abbey National Treasury Services plc. Registered Office:  Abbey National
House, 2 Triton Square, Regents Place, London NW1 3AN.  Registered in
England under Company Registration Number: 2338548.  Regulated by the
Financial Services Authority (FSA).