maven-users mailing list archives

From "Kyle Adams" <kad...@gfs.com>
Subject Re: JAR Repository and File Names
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:53:09 GMT
> No, the version of the JAR will always remain in the name of the JAR.
> Simply for the reason of sheer readability. You're not guessing when
> you look at the file.

I'll grant you that having the version number in the name of the JAR is more readable.  That
being said, I don't think there's any need to guess when looking at a JAR without a version
number in the name - you can easily check the manifest file to get version information.

> Ultimately your if all your processes are not tied to the source of
> project information you are going to have problems.
> Maybe you're not ready to use Maven to it's full extent but
> there are ways that you can consistently generate all your artifacts and
> deployments using the information provided in the POMs.

This seems a relatively short-sighted stance to me.  We can tie as many of our internal processes
to the POM as possible, but that still doesn't cover integration with other tools.  Until
WebLogic begins using the POM to determine the name of the JAR file to deploy, those problems
are going to exist.  Maven needs to have the flexibility to deal with those problems.

My inquiry isn't just about convenience.  It's about flexibility and integration with other
J2EE tools that can't read information from Maven's POM.

Thanks,
Kyle

_____

Kyle Adams | Java Developer  |  Gordon Food Service  |  616-717-6162