maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: Keeping your test source code in a separate, but parallel source tree
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:35:44 GMT
On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 12:20, Dave Ford wrote:
> The Maven web site lists "Keeping your test source code in a separate, but
> parallel source tree" as best practices.
>
> Q1: Why is this a best practice? It just seems like an extra thing to
> maintain to me, making package name refactoring for troublesome.

Why is it troublesome? I refactor things on a daily basis and I don't
have any trouble with test sources in a different directory.

It makes running test easier, makes adding test classes to the classpath
easier, makes it easier generally for packaging. Just having them
separated makes many more things possible.

> I've been
> placing my test class next to the tested class.
>
> smartsoft.util.Date
> smartsoft.util.DateTest
>
> By naming them this way, they appear next to each other in dir listings.
>
> Q2: If I want to continue my practice of keeping them together, is there any
> way to get Maven to support that?

You can probably roll something if you like, don't know how easy it is
but it will never, ever, be supported in Maven as an accepted practice.

> Thanks
>

> Dave Ford
> Smart Soft - The Developer Training Company
> http://www.smart-soft.com

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com