maven-users mailing list archives

From "Dima Berastau" <dimaberas...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: maven j2ee workflow
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 13:21:46 GMT
Hi,
 I don't actually tend to think of maven's emphasis on singularity as a bad
thing.
Taken in it's pure form producing *multiple* jars (or wars or ears for that
matter) from a *single* POM seems like a logical inconsistency. Think:
putting multiple <id> or <name> declarations into the POM.
 The point I was trying to drive home is that your single POM should be
capable of packaging (and hence distributing) your project in different
ways. ${maven.final.name}.jar ${maven.final.name}.war
${maven.final.name}.ear (and ${maven.final.name}-uber.jar for that matter)
should all be valid project artefacts. ejb, war and ear plugins would of
course have to offer a bit more to be useful. For example a war file could
contain a directory of jsps, etc and potentially some classes that would go
into WEB-INF/classes. I wouldn't want to create a whole new project/POM and
jar just to stick a utility XML-RPC servlet class which would give XML-RPC
clients access to my ejbs. I don't think any of these ideas are in conflict
with 'maven philosophy'. It's more a case of bringing maven philosophy and
the real world closer together.

 By and large what you can do with a jar you should be able to do with
war,ear and uber-jar (e.g. install/deploy/snapshot/etc).
 The project's workspace in the repository (remote or local) could then look
like:
<id>/jars (could be deliverable and/or dependency)
<id>/wars (deliverable)
<id>/ears (deliverable)
<id>/uberjars (deliverable)

Some projects are best distributed as wars (web applications), some as ears
(j2ee applications), some as uberjars (e.g. command line
applications/background processes) and some as jars (for reuse in other
projects). Maven should be flexible enough to allow you to manage all of
those.

I actually don't mind the fact that wars and ears cannot be defined as
dependencies.
In fact it seems to me they were not designed to be a dependency format to
start with (or maybe it's my outdated notion of dependency as something you
can stick on the classpath).

The next logical step (suggested by one of my friends) would be to tie these
results into the site generation plugin as links under 'downloads' section
for example.

dima

P.S.

I absolutely cannot envisage a situation that would make me go back to ant
:). In fact, I think that maven is capable of a lot more than it does ATM.
Maven's reactor is a great continuous integration tool for example. If only
maven was logging using a framework of some sort (e.g. log4j,
commons-logging), you could get nightlies with automatic email notification,
etc in no time. Correct me if I am wrong, but last time I checked there were
still quite a few System.out.println() lurking around.

[snip]