maven-users mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: licenses and repositories
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:52:36 GMT

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> If we can't find open source equivalants, one option is to put a note in the
> release documentation notifying the user that they will have to manually
> download the dependency and place it in their local repository.  Perhaps a
> better solution is to "bundle" the jar with the release and then use the
> maven.xml to auto-deploy the dependencies to the local repository, but I'm not
> certain if that properly meets Sun's licensing agreement.
>
> Has anyone else faced this problem, and if so, any better ideas?

Apache/Maven obviously have. With the decision being that there's not a
nice way around it. One idea that comes to mind is that it would be nice
if Maven had a User-Agent or something that looked like:

Maven-xmlwriter

in which the 'Maven' says it is Maven, and xmlwriter is the project
currently being built. Then you can block redistribution to any User-agent
but that one.

At that point, it seems to be akin to Java Webstart, and it seems unlikely
to me that the Sun licence would be applied to a use of Webstart to
redistribute things.

Hen