maven-users mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jbre...@wi.rr.com>
Subject Re: proposal to remove test:test dependency
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 03:36:46 GMT

One of the Maven's strengths is the adherence to current best practices.
Programmer tests running before a deliverable is created is one of the
practices that Maven has stuck with from the beginning.

I agree with dion's post that if someone is interested in this
feature, provide a switch or some way to bypass the tests, but it should
never be the default and probably not able to be set globally ( i.e. in
build.properties, thus turning off tests for all maven projects you
build ).  But I would not recommend this choice.

Another option would be to make sure that your tests are fast.  I think
that commons-collections has massive tests and they run in a very short
amount of time.  We've had to partition our tests into programmer tests (
what is generally thought of as unit tests ) and programmer-integration
tests ( tests that depend on external systems like a db ).  The
integration tests wouldn't run at each build, but maybe after all jars
have been built another pass is made running the integration tests.

Another thing that I've noticed is the ant batch test task is slow, even
slower when the test are forked.  We've used TestSuite to help with speed
problems also.

I Hope this helps,

jb