maven-users mailing list archives

From Aslak Helles√ły <aslak.helle...@netcom.no>
Subject RE: Next release?
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 01:29:39 GMT
Just a tip: Every time I need to figure out how to do something and it isn't
covered in the docs (which is most of the time, since Maven doesn't have an
automatic self-documentation feature yet), I always look at the plugin
source code. That is, the jelly script. Now, as an exercise, I looked at the
java plugin's plugin.jelly to find the solution of the problem you mentioned
as an example:

I do a file serach for "<javac", and I find the right plugin (java). In that
file, I search for "<javac" again, and I find that the path with id
java.compile.src.set defines the classes to compile. Then I dig some more to
find out how to define that path, and I've got it. Allright, it might take
10 minutes.

The thing I want to stress here is that if you think the docs are too poor
but continue to use the program, then why not contribute yourself with some
docs about the problems you just solved? I'm really tired of freeriders that
complain about open source software. You get something for free, remember.
There is a whole spirit about OSS that needs to be grasped here.

Sure, good docs are always needed for newbies. -And newbies are sometimes
the best to produce docs, because they see the problem from a different
angle. So contribute!

Aslak

<mailto:turbine-maven-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>