maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Ewins <Brian.Ew...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: How to skip changelog step in site:generate?
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:01:04 GMT
dIon, I took a tour of the code thats handling putting the reports in,
it seems a bit fragile to me. Any change to which reports are included
requires changes to the maven-reports.xml, site.jsl, site.dvsl, ...
Also, if you generate a report for yourself that isnt in the standard
list, you need to add the navigation for it by hand. It adds a barrier
to entry to anyone writing a plugin that produces reports.

I was going to suggest (or preferably implement) a more modular
approach: each reporting tool will 'register' its report and both the
maven-reports.xml, reports navigation are generated from these report
descriptors. This would mean that the xdoc plugin would no longer have
any knowledge of any specific reporting plugins, and the documentation
of what the reports are for are in the reporting plugins instead of in
the xdoc plugin.

To get this to work, I was hoping to be able to define a jelly tag that
would do the work of writing the descriptors. I reckoned I'd implement
this by merging descriptors directly into maven-reports.xml, like so:

<jsl:template match="table">
    <jsl:applyTemplates select="tr"/>
valid xml from a property? --></td>
</jsl:template>
<!-- however the identity transform looks in jsl... -->
<jsl:template match="*">
</jsl:template>

and then build the jelly tag so that calls to this would look something
like:
  <report:register location="blah" title="blah" description="blah"/>

However obviously I don't know enough jelly - how would I wrap this up
in a jelly 'define:tag' tag? And how do I emit properly escaped xml for
the description? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Baz