maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Ewins <Brian.Ew...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Local plugins?
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:52:02 GMT

Brian Ewins wrote:
> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter
>>
>> You could use the maven.xml to 'download' and install a plugin from a
>> repository if it doesn't exist locally. Or you could ship the plugin
>> along with the maven.xml and do the install as part of the maven.xml.

[snip]
> Please correct me if I'm wrong - after running into this problem on b7,
> I've been using the 'build with maven' approach on b8 and haven't
> retested the issue since. I had no replies to questions about this at
> the time.

Just reading this morning's IRC log, I see Jason has partly answered this:

1:06:35 AM jason in response to peter donalds request i'm now working on
a maven plugin artifact
1:07:00 AM jason so that project managers/leaders can declare deps on a
maven plugin and it will be installed transparently for the user.
1:08:05 AM jason but i need to clean more stuff up to make that work.

Got a question about this...'project managers/leaders can declare deps
on a maven plugin' - I have to assume this is somewhere central in the
maven install, not on a per-project basis? Otherwise you'd end up with
eg project 'A' accidentally and irreproducibly building when it depends
on a plugin the user had previously declared as a dependency of project
'B'? Or that we'd have to declare all the plugins we mean to use in a
project (which takes some of the value away from the centralization in
maven)

-Baz