maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Ewins <Brian.Ew...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Maven Newbie
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:19:53 GMT
Hari Kodungallur wrote:

 > I am new to Maven. [...] Each module has an ant build file. I also
 > have a master build file which is used to build all the modules,
 > mainly during nightly build. [..] We don't want to move away from
 > individual module ant build files. We would like to use Maven to
 > manage all the individual ant build files (as a master build file,
 > sort of) and in addition use the plug-ins available for the other
 > tools to do code coverage and code checking for all modules.

I'm fairly new to maven too, but had similar issues to begin
with. Whats below is just what I did.

 > (1)	Is Maven the right tool to do this?

Not if you want to keep the individual ant build files. Maven gives
you the most benefit if you are willing to stick to the maven
directory layout, and only write a project.xml - there gives you the
least to maintain in each module. If you try to keep a different
directory structure and list of targets from maven's you'll find
its like swimming uphill.

The question you need to answer is, why do you want to keep the ant
files? If each project is truly different you can just add some of
your ant tasks into the project's maven.xml; the only other reasons
we have for keeping ant are that maven is still beta, and the level
of IDE integration from maven, though we're happier with this now[1]

Going back to your 'master' build file - you seem to be using it both
to provide a common set of goals/targets to projects, and to execute
that common set of goals from a nightly build.  I think those two
functions would be better separated, into a file you 'include' from
all your ant scripts, and a simpler 'master' script that just does the
checkout-build-label cycle for nightlies. Have you read 'Ant in
Anger'[2]? You could possibly even ditch the 'nightly' aspect in
favour of a tool like anthill[3], CruiseControl[4], or the Gump[5].

If you went with maven, it takes the role of the included file -
giving you access to all of maven's plugins from all of your projects
- and the 'reactor'[6] is the thing that does 'master' builds.

 > (2)	If yes, can somebody give me some HOWTOs and also sample project
 > descriptors to do this kind of tasks? Anything closely related will be
 > very helpful, as either the documentation on Maven's website is too
 > little or too confusing to me.

Since I'm in the position of having some ant projects and some maven
projects I want to build nightly (until we make the jump to maven
only) I looked into setting up various tools to do the
automated/nightly builds. As we're not on CVS, the Gump was out of the
question for us; so I went with Anthill, and wrote an anthill-build.xml
(attached) that I use for /all/ maven projects - it just executes
a couple of maven goals. Its not ideal, but it lets me work with ant
and maven side by side.

One caveat, there is a bug in maven preventing it returning an exit
code[7], so anthill won't detect build failures; I had to patch my
copy to fix this.

An alternative approach I tried was to write an ant script to do maven
and/or ant builds in a similar manner to anthill. The idea was to
write a multiproject build script which simply cycles over the
projects to build, and for each calls a single project 'bootstrap'
checkout-build-label script (attached), which in turn calls the
project's actual build file via the correct tool. The attached script
is again aimed at working with building ant and maven projects side
by side, and doesn't address the issue of sharing targets between
ant scripts.

However I should point out that I consider all of these to be sticking
plaster approaches - I want to move /all/ of our projects across to
maven as, despite its flaws, it is a vast improvement!

-Baz

 > Thank you very much
 > -Hari

[1] To integrate an IDE with a build tool, you mainly need the ability
to parse error output, and for advanced features, access to the same
classpath for code completion etc. Running maven with '-E' presents
unadorned javac error messages, I've successfully worked with maven
under XEmacs and netbeans by using just the error output; apparently
integration with Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA is even better.
[2]http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant_in_anger.html
[3]http://www.urbancode.com/projects/anthill/default.jsp
[4]http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/
[5]http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/