maven-users mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@00java.com>
Subject Re: Next release?
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:08:11 GMT
+1000000000

As a relative newbie to Maven, but a veteran of Ant, I can't agree
enough.  I have personally made an ass out of myself several times
asking stupid questions on the irc channel.  However, for me these were
basic questions that I couldn't find the answer to.  Once, I was
referred to a project on a completely unrelated site as an example.  Or,
in the worst case, I have spent _hours_ digging through someone else's
code (and consequently someone else's mind) looking for where a
particular feature is implemented, so that I could see _how_ it works.

Perfect example:  Try to create a project.xml that only compiles
_some_of_ the classes in the source tree you're referring to.  I had to
check the Commons-logging project.xml for that one.

I have a full-time job, and can't really afford the weeks-long
investment required to understand how to configure a project, let alone
contribute to it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of Maven, but if there is no
documentation the only developers you will ever have are (a) the ones
you already have, or (b) any people who have _nothing_ else to do.
Plus, you need good documentation to support the droves of people out
there just looking to give you a popularity vote in JDJ or
JavaPro...that's definitely worth something.

Just my 2c.

John