maven-users mailing list archives

From "Age Mooy" <am...@home.nl>
Subject RE: Newbie question: Current best practice for web apps
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:18:24 GMT

I'll summarize what I've said before on the turbine-dev list:

My src tree looks like this:

/src
  /java
  /schema (used by the Torque plugin)
  /test
  /webapp
    /logs
    /resources
    /templates
    /WEB-INF
      /conf
      /web.xml

If you run the war:webapp goal with this kind of src dir structure it
will generate a complete webapp directory structure under
${maven.build.dir}/${pom.id} for you, including the classes compiled
from src/java, the dependent lib files, and everything that exists under
src/webapp.
The war:war goal generates exactly the same thing but then inside a war
file.

You can point tomcat at ${maven.build.dir}/${pom.id} in its server.xml
file and run your webapp from there.

The only (tiny) problem is that now you have to run war:webapp to deploy
any changes, even for changed templates, images, etc. I use the maven
console so running war:webapp takes about 1 second.

I use maven 1.0 b7.

If anyone is interested I can xdoc this and send it to the list.

Age

tml), so it's unclear what I should do.

Can someone please summarize the current thinking on how Maven should be
used when building a web application?

Thanks.