maven-surefire-users mailing list archives

From BrandonY <brand...@gmail.com>
Subject Surefire not reporting test summary
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:38:53 GMT

For quite a while, I've been happily using Surefire as part of my continuous
integration environment (Hudson).  Recently, though, the plugin has stopped
showing the test results summary line (Tests run: 3332, Failures: 0, Errors:
0, Skipped: 0, etc) and presumably has stopped exiting normally.  This
turned out to be a big problem because Hudson no longer reported the build
as failing or made any mention of any failing unit tests.  Failing tests
went unnoticed for days.

It turned out that this seems to have been caused by a test class that had
some code in a static {} block that was throwing an Exception, thus causing
some ClassLoader problems.  I'm not sure whether this is a TestNG problem or
a surefire problem, but I'm surprised that it was able to almost completely
take out Hudson, especially since it was running in forked mode.

Thought I'd mention it in case someone else ran into a similar problem.  I
was eventually able to get a stack trace that provided some hints by turning
off fork mode.