From "Brian E. Fox" <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
Subject Nexus Central Index redirected to S3
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:56:47 GMT
To help reduce the load on Central and provide faster downloads of the
index (updated weekly), we are redirecting the requests over to Amazon
S3. For most users this will be completely transparent except you should
notice both the indexes and general Central use to be much faster. If
however you have a firewall that limits connections to the central repo
ip, you may need to adjust your rules to allow the S3 IP numbers [1].

The S3 usage right now is a trial to see how it performs, please reply
with any feedback and note that we may undo the rewrites if any problems
are detected. This means you should continue to use the
repo1.maven.org/.index/ urls to retrieve the index.

[1]
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/thread.jspa?messageID=827
57