From "Brian E. Fox" <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
Subject RE: Syncing stuff from java.net....
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:09:40 GMT
I think this is a case like we discussed on the call where we put this stuff under a new group
id since we are now essentially owning the pom.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kulp [mailto:dkulp@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 10:39 AM
To: repo-maintainers@maven.apache.org
Cc: private@maven.apache.org
Subject: Syncing stuff from java.net....

Once again, I just got bit by the java.net folks replacing a jar in their repo
with a different jar of same name/version.    I didn't really notice it for
almost a month as my repo manager was doing it's job, but since the project
(CXF) is open source, others are now being hit by it.

Thus, I think I need to spend some time at least getting my dependencies from
java.net put into central so I can remove the java.net repo from the poms and
avoid them.    However, I have a "policy" question....

The poms at java.net tend to suck.   As I copy things to central, I'd like to
update them to include things like license tags, organization tags, URL's,
names, descriptions, etc.....     However, that will make the poms at central
different than the ones on java.net.   The jar itself would be the same and
I'd (most likely) leave the deps.  Just update the metadata.

So, the question is: do I change the version number?   Example:
jaxb 2.1.7    ->    jaxb 2.1.7-1
or similar?   We did something like that for jaxws-api due to them redeploying
a jar of the same version.    The "cons" to this is that the version number
is different.   The "pro" is that if you depend on the version in central,
you ONLY will get it from central.   If you have java.net repo in your pom,
you won't get it from there.

Thoughts?

--
Daniel Kulp