maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: m2 and offline mode
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:06:53 GMT

See inline reply:

Michal Maczka wrote:
> John Casey wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I wanted to take a few minutes and submit some thoughts I've documented
>> regarding offline mode in m2. My hope is to start a discussion of what
>> parts of the m2 system can reasonably be assumed to be
>> offline-sensitive. The goal is to factor as much of this offline
>> sensitivity as possible into APIs for plugins, phases, etc. to use, so
>> that plugging new pieces into the offline mode will be as easy as
>> possible.
>>
>> Thanks for your patience in reading and responding to such a large
>> email. Now, having said all that :), here are the contents of an APT
>> document I've started on this topic:

> Just a naive question:
>
> Wasn't the offline mode in maven needed only for avoiding checking if
> newer snapshots are available
> every time maven was run?

To me, offline mode is extremely valuable, not only as a way of keeping
m2 from attempting to download artifacts, but also in determining what
level of success we can expect from other network-related operations.

No, it's not only related to snapshots. Even if you were to ignore the
other network operations that mojos might attempt, you still have to
consider that the download of regular artifacts will be affected by
offline status.

> Is it still needed if better control if and when such checks have to be
> made is going to be given?

I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to say here. Can you clarify?

> michal

> Jan Pawel II 1920 - 2005
> http://link.interia.pl/f1871

- -john