maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem with phase lifecycle
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:52:04 GMT
Maczka Michal wrote:

>>Is war:war pulling in its sources as is (ie jarring from
>>target/classes,
>>src/main/webapp, etc), or is it building up the exploded war:webapp in
>>target, then jarring that like m1?
>>

>Neither of them.

You didn't really read what I said - I was talking about what war:war is
doing, not war:webapp.

>war:webapp is assembling exploded web applictaion
>in the folder defined by: "maven.war.webapp.dir" property.
>As far as I know many people who use that goal often choose something like
>${SERVLET_CONTAINER_ROOT}/webapps/myapp as "maven.war.webapp.dir".

Yes, I used it that way too initially.

>>I believe it can be more
>>effecient by
>>pulling them all in, if possible.
>>

>Sure it can be much more efficient. But this will remove certain
>flexibility.

I didn't say remove.

>I would rather preserve that flexibility then make it bit faster (various
>optmisiation can be implemented later on).
>
>Note that many people is really annoyed (including me) by the fact that
>war:webapp goal is executing unit tests.
>If you changed a single js/css file in your web application this is really
>an overkill.

That's why I implemented war:inplace. You don't need to run anything then.

>So I can suggest that one more phase is needed after compile phase
>(something like "assmble").

For webapp, this might make sense if that is really a separate stage,
but I still see the exploded webapp as a "package".

>>If it is not posssible - is it
>>necessary to distinguish?
>>

>imo yes. see my examples above.
>

>>war:war will build the webapp
>>anyway, so there
>>really is no need for just war:webapp. The JAR step is quite small and
>>quick.
>>

>I am using war:webapp all the time in m1 and very rarly I execute goals like
>war:install/war:deploy.
>In case of the big web applications (say 20 MB+) "jar step" is not as fast
>as you think. It can easly take a dozen of seconds.

sure. just thinking out loud.

- Brett