maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Venisse" <emman...@venisse.net>
Subject Re: Problem with phase lifecycle
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:16:42 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Porter" <brett@apache.org>
To: "Maven 2 Developers List" <m2-dev@maven.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: Problem with phase lifecycle

> Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
>
> >>Did you declare
> >>
> >>@goal war-resources
> >>@phase process-resources
> >>
> >>and
> >>
> >>@goal webapp
> >>@phase process-classes
> >>
> >>in the mojos? That should work.
> >>

> >It's what I do. It don't work.
> >

> Check that the mojo descriptor (META-INF/maven/plugin.xml) is correct,
> but if so it will take some debugging. I can take a look tomorrow if it
> is committed).

It's correct. I don't know if I'll can commit it for tomorrow.

> >>I'm not sure war:webapp is process-classes - do you? I think it is
> >>"package", and war:war extends the mojo (rather than prereq'ing it like
> >>in m1).
> >>

> >Yes, I prefer to use package phase, but war:war use it too.
> >war:war extends the jar mojo for share some code.
> >I don't think I can add 2 goals in the same phase, and choose the
execution
> >order.
> >

> No, we can't choose execution order. So far, there isn't really a case
> for it.
>
> I don't think the war mojo should extend the JAR mojo - I'd prefer it
> extended the warwebapp mojo. I thought all the code it uses from JAR is
> part of plexus-archiver?

Yes and No. In AbstractJarMojo, I wrote a method for create a maven default
manifest, and I'll need to add a addTaggedDependencies method for bundle in
archive some dependency. All this code isn't in Plexus Archiver.

> Do you agree?

Not really, war:webapp and war:war are 2 very different tasks.

> I'd prefer to go with what works wrt the lifecycle first, and worry
> about proper reuse later.
>
> If the packaging is a problem, the alternative is to have a "package"
> phase (webapp) and an "archive" phase (war) I guess.

It's a good idea, or if we want to be more flexible, add a pre/post phase
for each existent phase :
"pre-compile" phase
"compile" phase
"post-compile" phase
"pre-package" phase
"package" phase
"post-package" phase

> Finally, I think war:exploded is a better name than war:webapp -
> generally exploded is used to refer to an unpacked webapp. What do you
> think?

Yes, I prefer it too. I used war:webapp for clone m1 mechanism and don't
disturb user when they'll migrate to m2.
I rename it.