maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Maczka Michal <michal.mac...@imtf.ch>
Subject RE: #1 thoughts on the goal chain
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:58:17 GMT

Yes I saw caller plugin.
But this is not exactly the same thing but the idea is indeed quite close.

The idea here is that you have goals which belong to no plugin and m2 core
will be a mediator which will delegate this call to appropiate mojo
so plugins won't be requited to use other plugins.

For example jar:jar goal can have a dependecy on "compile" goal and m2 core
takes care to execute a goal which is bound to that name
(e.g. by default java:compile)

By the convetion in m2 all goals have two parts (e.g. java:compile) first
one which identifies the plugin which provide an implemention of that goal
(which is "java: in our case) , second which
identifies the mojo ("compile").
Those orphan goals about which I was speaking above by convetion can have
just a single string in their names so they can be easly identified.

> The only issue is that it's a bit of a hack the way it's done
> now (but it
> was the only solution I could think of for Maven 1).

Most likly we are speaking about the same thing just impl. details are
different.

>Now,
> we're discussing
> Maven 2 here and I think it's much cleaner to build it into the plugin
> descriptor.

Michal