maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: using cling
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:27:14 GMT
On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 20:10, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 19:52, John Casey wrote:
> > yeah, I was thinking of suggesting it's use here. I think it'd make a
> > pretty natural way of starting m2, although we might consider removing
> > marmalade and ognl to lighten the load...right now, cling requires:
>
> It would definitely be cool to just have a generated cling model reader
> and then use the rest of the stuff you have there. What you're thinking
> is exactly what I'm thinking. I just removed OGNL from the core so I
> think what you have with cling would be perfect.
>
> You want to trim down cling and try to wire it in? Then we can remove
> commons-cli which I would like.

I'll add to this: I want to make something that could be incorporated
into which would not only allow m2 to run from a repository but allow
upgrading pieces of the distribution easily. Maybe the POM could just be
distributed with the app and then have another descriptor for things
like startup scripts and other configuration bits like our
classworlds.conf.

I want to prepare to roll out the alpha-1 of m2 but I want to let people
bring it down once and that's it. There has to be a way to make this
simple and safe.

I'm on a bit of a bent but if we remove commons-cli, combined with what
Trygve is doing with Plexus we'll be down to a 400k distribtution which
just makes this whole process easier because we have so few artifacts to
deal with.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl