maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: reintroduction of maven.properties for config orthogonal to POMs
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:46:54 GMT

> I am pretty sure that there will be other configuration settings which
> belongs outside the pom.
> Configuration of Proxy Server(s) settings is one of them.
>
> I think we should rather use xml file then properties file as it will
> give as a better flexibility
> I suppose that we can try to use the new functionality provided by
> plexus - linked and inlined external configuration for reading such
> settings. Maybe we can introduce new component which will contain an
> access to those settings?

This was why I put it into the POM, under a <local> section which could
be treated specially. Proxies are something that would belong in both
site and user configuration, but not project configuration.

Perhaps extracting the local section to a separate configuration file is
the best alternative (so it is just a simple default -> site -> user
inheritence).

I agree with Michal that keeping maven.repo.local and proxies together,
and in an xml configuration, is a good idea.

Cheers,
Brett