maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject reintroduction of maven.properties for config orthogonal to POMs
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:21:49 GMT
Howdy,

We've chatted about this briefly but I would like to at least use a
maven.properties file for the specification of the maven.repo.local
value. I think we've discussed it being orthogonal to anything in the
POM and I would really like to have a defined way of specifying
maven.repo.local and how to ascertain its value.

Right now we have a slew of things trying to find maven.repo.local:
compilers, continuum and some other various tools and some of look for
override.xml, maven.properties, a system property and it's time to fold
this all into a standard strategy for getting the value of
maven.repo.local.

I'm not sure if there will be any configuration options like
maven.repo.local but I think it belongs outside the POM and we can
search for its value in a defined way like:

- system.property (for tools that embed m2)
- value in ~/.m2/maven.properties

Or whatever is best we should do, I would like to align everything this
week. M1 will obey system properties over anything else so maybe we
should take the same approach with m2.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl